The first public transportation in Knoxville was started in 1876 when the Knoxville Street Railway Company inaugurated horse-drawn trams along Gay Street. Electric streetcar service began in 1890 and by 1910, Knoxville's streetcars extended over 42 miles of track and carried 11 million passengers annually. Buses entered service in 1929 and by 1947, the streetcar lines had all been replaced by buses. Today, the buses are operated by Knoxville Area Transit (KAT). There are about 25 routes, including 3 fare-free "trolley" routes connecting downtown Knoxville and the University of Tennessee campus.
Gillig Advantage 4019 on West Summit Hill Drive, November 28, 2014